Job Title: Maintenance Mechanic
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared By: Cleveland Hobbs, Maintenance Director
Prepared Date: 6/2/21
Approved By: Dr. Anthony E. Woods, President / CEO
Approved Date: 6/2/21
Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in maintaining and repairing physical structures of buildings and maintaining grounds by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Responsible for refurbishing and the up-keep of the apartments during and prior to resident occupancy. Engage in performing electrical and structural repairs to appliances, glass, sheetrock, masonry, woodwork, and furnishings of buildings.
- Assist the Community Manager in scheduling apartment check-in and monthly check-out inspections.
- Periodically inspect all units, buildings, and common areas, performing repairs and janitorial assistance as needed.
- Interprets company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations.
- Perform ground maintenance activities such as mowing lawns, trimming hedges, removing weeds, and raking and disposing of leaves and refuse.
- Perform scheduled maintenance on all equipment based on the manufacturer's recommendations and operating manuals.
- Studies production schedules and estimates worker hour requirements for completion of job assignments.
- Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase the efficiency of the work crew. Analyzes and resolves work problems or assists workers in solving work problems.
- Schedule work order requests, adhering to maintenance priorities.
- Confers with supervisors to coordinate activities of individual departments.
- Performs activities of workers supervised.
Directly supervises the Maintenance Assistants.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Technical school; or six months to one-year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
Class "D Licenses, State apprenticeship in maintenance, a certificate in air condition/freon.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- Must be bondable.
- Must be insurable under the Palatka Housing Authority's automobile insurance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative yet not all inclusive of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions, risk of radiation, and vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat; and explosives. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud due to the use of power tools, security alarms, and smoke detectors.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Palatka Housing Authority will make reasonable accommodation to the known disability of a qualified applicant or employee to enable people with disabilities to enjoy equal employment opportunities if it would not impose an "undue hardship" on the operation of the employer's business.
As a public agency, PHA is committed to maintaining the highest of ethical standards. Applicants selected for employment are expected to perform work responsibilities with the highest degree of integrity, professionalism, and honesty to merit the respect of our co-workers, clients, partners, vendors, and the general public. Applicants selected for employment are also expected to serve the public with dedication, concern, courtesy, and responsiveness.
The above information in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
This position specification is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this position specification at any time, without notice.