Supervised By: Director of Affordable and Assisted Housing
Department: Affordable Housing Division
Position Title: Property Manager
Salary: Based on Experience, unit count and complexity of program(s) at properties
This is administrative and managerial work managing the operations and maintenance of the Authority's lease and rental properties and portfolios. Ensures that all properties are operated in an efficient, cost-effective manner while providing high-quality, well-maintained housing for residents and/or tenants. Directs and supervises office staff, sometimes through an assistant manager or intake specialist (if applicable), and maintenance staff to ensure all daily work orders, vacates, emergencies, and preventative maintenance is performed, and lease agreements and resident issues are handled in a timely and effective manner.
Work is performed under general direction from the Director of Affordable and Assisted Housing. The omission of specific statements regarding duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment in association with this position.
Supervises a staff of administrative and maintenance personnel, or outsourced workers. Plans, assigns and reviews work of staff for quality, quantity, and outcomes.
WORK SCHEDULE AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
- Full-time employment
- Work hours are 8:00 am - 6:30 pm, Monday - Thursday, with 60- minute lunch
- May be required to work additional hours to meet operational goals
- Considered an essential
PROPERTY MANAGEMENT GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:
- Support quality, safe, and affordable housing in a variety of types, sizes, locations, and costs to meet the needs of current and future residents, regardless of age or income.
- Vacant unit turnaround time average 12 days.
- Emergency work orders abated within 24 hours.
- Routine work orders completed within 15 days.
- Annual Reviews completed within 45 days of effective date.
- Move In and Move Out Certifications completed within 48 hours of keys.
- EIV and PIC reviewed, corrected and updated monthly
- Legal Notices served in a timely manner.
- Delinquency less than 2%
This section serves to illustrate the more typical aspects of the work indicative of the classification. The primary functions of the classification are not to be considered a detailed description of every duty of each position allocated to the classification. The responsibilities and essential duties typically performed by positions allocated to this classification on a frequent and recurring basis include:
- Markets units and properties and conducts outreach to fill units; responds to questions and explains housing and leasing options.
- Manages the waiting list and application intake; screen applicants by checking credit histories, landlord references, criminal background checks; shows and offers units; documents offer; prepares leasing paperwork; conducts orientation.
- Trains and monitors the work of others as directed by the Director of Affordable Housing; provides input on staff performance evaluations. Maintain timesheets for property or portfolio.
- Perform follow-up visits with new residents within 60-days after move-in to identify, assess and take action on any issues that may impact resident occupancy.
- Coordinate efforts to maintain resident occupancy. Meet with residents to identify and assess resident concerns, complaints, or grievances.
- Plans, organizes, assigns, supervises and evaluates the work of assigned property staff; plans, coordinates and arranges training, interviews and recommends selection of employees; recommends disciplinary action, if needed.
- Assures tenant satisfactions by providing a high level of customer service; cultivates and maintains partnerships with other departments and local government agencies; addresses resident complaints; makes judgments regarding tenant issues, reasonable accommodations for tenants and special medical considerations that may impact procedures or products used.
- Develops yearly operating budget and property financial performance; ensures expenditures are accurately coded; submits reports on variances and makes budget adjustments; reviews and approves payment for goods and services.
- Performs tenant accounting; authorizes adjustments to tenant accounts, security deposits, rent changes, retroactive billings, maintenance charges and late fees; authorizes rent refunds or collection efforts, write-offs; negotiates payment agreements and schedules.
- Directs and supervises maintenance staff to ensure all daily work orders, vacates, emergencies, and preventative maintenance is performed and inspects to ensure quality; may also contract for other routine building services such as maintenance, janitorial, landscaping, security, fire alarm system monitoring as needed; makes recommendations on capital improvements, addresses potential hazards, and schedules special projects.
- Ensures leasing requirements including tenancy, parking, and rent collection; uses discretionary authority to take legal action when violations occur by serving notices; tracks vacancy unit upgrades.
- Conducts and/or reviews annual and interim leasing recertifications to ensure tenant meets occupancy requirements including applicable tax credit and HCV guidelines: reviews third party verifications, income and other family composition changes.
- Oversee interim and zero income eligibility reviews and reports; verify family income, size/composition and program eligibility; confirm rent amount is accurate.
- Demonstrates continuous efforts to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality, seamless customer service.
- Performs routine physical inspections of grounds.
- Prioritizes maintenance work orders; develops and implements daily, weekly and monthly maintenance schedules; orders and maintains inventory of supplies, prepares purchase orders to requisition materials and supplies; schedules testing and inspection of fire extinguishers, alarms, pest control back flow testing and storm water catch basin.
- Prepares a variety of reports, records and correspondence on matters pertaining to property management.
- Monitor resident compliance with lease provisions, investigate and document violations; communicate required remedies to resident and/or resident representative and support services partner.
- Coordinate eviction proceedings for lease violation(s) for non-payment of rent, ensure eviction related actions and activities are documented and residents receive lease enforcement notices and warning letters in a timely manner; schedule eviction related conferences and meeting and assist legal counsel with case and court processes.
- Maintain a control system to assure the timely completion and recording of all required actions such as lease renewals, recertifications, reasonable accommodations, grievance hearings, legal actions, and application responses, filing and file destruction.
- Prepare reports on vacancies and unit dispositions. Produce and maintain appropriate resident and property related documents, files and records required by HUD and/or agency guidelines; maintain inventory records. Audit resident files and correct deficiencies in a timely manner; assist in agency or HUD audits.
- Promptly report any incident of work-related injuries to HR, Director of Affordable Housing, and President / CEO. Ensure that injured employee completes paperwork. Work with HR to monitor return to work and any light duty assignments.
- Required to attend Resident Council Meetings.
- May travel between property sites.
- Undertakes and performs other work-related duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or provide relief, to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise balance the workload.
- May be required to work during inclement weather or holidays when offices are closed.
- May fill in for the Director of Affordable and Assisted Housing when leave is taken.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
Possess or acquire and maintain a high level of expertise in the current and evolving principles and practices in the following areas:
- Thorough knowledge of all functions and activities related to housing property management;
- Extensive knowledge of procedures and practices pertaining to the selection process, eligibility criteria, rental and income limitations contained in assisted housing programs;
- Considerable knowledge of leasing agreement procedures, interim recertification process, public housing standards and housing quality standards inspection;
- Extensive knowledge about tax credit, multi-family project-based HCV, and/or bond financed properties; their requirements and regulations;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of budget preparation and administration;
- Demonstrate an ability to get along with others effectively; to lead and inspire, to build teams and manage conflict; to participate as a team member; and to give and accept criticism constructively;
- Write clearly and informatively; edit work for spelling and grammar; able to read, write and interpret documents of a technical nature;
- Able to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals;
- Can attend to highly detailed work accurately and efficiently; able to organize and work independently in an environment of frequent interruptions;
- High level ability to plan projects effectively, manage their timely implementation and effectively use the agency's other management tools;
- Have a high regard and ability to meet schedules and time lines; demonstrate excellent ability to work independently with little direction;
- Ability to engage a wide variety of people with a high level of professionalism, courtesy and good humor, including culturally, socially and economically diverse populations, seniors, persons with disabilities, contractors, and professional colleagues;
- Possess a high degree of proficiency in agency software and otherwise to be effective without close clerical support.
Work requires specific knowledge of complex affordable housing programs including the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), HUD rental assistance and/or other applicable regulated housing programs; Authority policies and procedures in assigned area of work; and modern office practices and procedures. Work requires an associate degree and three to five years relevant work experience in affordable housing property management, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Valid Florida State Driver's License and acceptable driving record at time of appointment and throughout employment are required in this position.
- Fair Housing Compliance
- Certified Professional of Occupancy (CPO)
- Specialist in Housing Credit Management (SHCM)
- Budget/Finance Management
- Public Housing Manager (PHM)
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment at the property sites. The incumbent frequently uses standard office equipment including personal computers, telephone and related equipment and may drive a vehicle on Authority business.
Work includes frequent contact with the public and employees on a variety of matters requiring the incumbent to know such policies and procedures. Work involves frequent contact with regulatory agencies, partners, vendors and social services support agencies. Contact with tenant may be of a confidential and sensitive nature to collect relevant documents and assist with tenant needs.
Position ID 1937
Position Title Property Manager
Application Deadline 08/24/2023
Salary Range Based on Experience, unit count and complexity of program(s) at
Position Major Category Position Posting
Position Location Palatka, FL
PHA Contact Information
Name Garvin, Kizmet
Phone Number (386) 329-0132, ext. 211
Best Method of Contact EMAIL